This comforting, creamy tomato soup relies on pantry staples, such as canned whole tomatoes, garlic, onion, and extra-virgin olive oil. Best of all, you can enjoy a bowl of this soup in just 30 minutes.
Active: 30 mins.
Total: 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, very thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 5 cups canned whole tomatoes in their juice (from three 14-ounce cans)
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoon of the butter in 3 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the sliced onion and smashed garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juice, the water, heavy cream, sugar, crushed red pepper, celery seed and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, breaking up the tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer for 10 minutes. Using an immersion blender blend to desired consistency. Serve with soda crackers.